Tasty and Light Spring (or Summer) Rolls
Having just celebrated Valentine’s Day with pink and red and hearts and flowers and chocolates, this might seem like a bit of a jump ahead into spring (and summer), but along came this bright photo (yes and those pretty red chopsticks) with ’tasty and light’ spring (and summer) rolls. I’ve been salivating over it since I first saw it – so I decided to share!
Last fall I challenged myself to attempt making my own spring (sometimes called summer) rolls at home. To my delight, they are super easy. Even my young granddaughters jump right in and roll, then devour, their own! We all think these fun and easy rolls are tasty any time of the year.
This recipe (fromTaste for Adventure by Tablespoon) is more about one of the many uses of Grilled Sesame Tofu which is a tasty optional filling, but any fillings are delicious, just omit or add as your imagination and ingredients lead you.
Give these ‘tasty and light’ rolls (and the grilled sesame tofu) a try, and let me know what you think of them!
1 16 Ounce Block Extra Firm Tofu
1/4 Cup Sesame Oil
2 Cloves Garlic
2 Inches Fresh Ginger, grated
16 Spring Roll Wraps (or Vietnamese Rice Paper)
1 Large Cucumber, peeled and diced
2 Cups Beans Sprouts
1 Avocado sliced thinly
2 Cups Carrots, shredded
4 Scallions sliced thinly
- Mince garlic very finely and grate ginger. Combine with sesame oil.
- Cut tofu into 3 sheets. Set tofu on paper towels and press with some weight to press out water. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add tofu to sesame oil marinade and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Grill tofu over high heat for 5-6 minutes per side.
- If you want to make spring rolls, wet a wrapper and add a few pieces of tofu to the center of the wrap.
- Pile the wrap high with veggies and then roll it tightly.
- Slice and serve wraps with soy sauce.